Housekeeping audits are crucial for a business to succeed and to keep having customers walking through the front door.Without regular housekeeping audits, there is a chance that your business might suffer. And in the long run, your business may lose its clients.
Usually, when your workplace is chaotic and unsystematic, this is seen as a sign of poor quality especially, in terms of services and products. However, any attempt to improve the quality of your services is met with the futile result when the storeroom, offices, manufacturing works or retail floor of your business is disorganized and unkempt. If you are trying to improve the areas of your business that are affecting the productivity of your company’s business then by auditing, you can do that.
Another aspect of housekeeping audit is that it can assist in regularly monitoring the employees’ productivity and work quality. This simple plan can help in determining which factors are dispiriting the employees and by fixing those factors employees can work in a safe and motivated environment.
More so, in a housekeeping audit two domains can be examined: operational and financial. Inspection of the operations ensures standardized cleaning of rooms and facilities and safety precautions been taken care of. On the other hand, financial reviews concerns about the money spent on managing and administering the entire housekeeping operation.
Housekeeping Audit Process
The housekeeping auditing and inspection process cover a wide range of aspects of a workplace that can be examined, these include:
- Inspecting the floor for cleanliness, and posting of wet-floor signs when the floors are undergoing cleaning
- Examining aisles to detect installation of mirrors at blind corners, and determining the wideness of aisles to accommodate workers and equipment
- Reviewing stairways for adequate lighting and for the use of anti-slip thread
- Examining the use of spill absorbents and all sorts of safety procedures to wipe spills quickly
- Regular checking of the equipment and machinery to determine any outdated equipment showing signs of leaks, and if so then it is paramount to review proper repairing and cleaning of those machines and tools.
- Determining the proper handling of waste disposal by using appropriate containers for toxic and flammable waste and ensuring that the containers are emptied regularly.
- In case of fire prevention, signs mentioning the exit staircase, availability of fire extinguishers and installation of adequate sprinkler heads in the corridors and rooms, are of paramount importance.
- Carrying out financial audits greatly help in painting a comprehensive picture of the company’s expenses and expenditures in the housekeeping operations
A lot more ground can be covered with a housekeeping audit, in addition to the above-mentioned elements.
The 5S Technique
The 5S technique is a standardised criterion set for cleaning operations of rooms and amenities by the auditors. Sort, straighten, sweep, standardize, and sustain, hence the first letter of each makes the 5S. Implementation of this technique allows the auditors to make sure that all the rules are followed and properly executed by the cleaning employees.
The entire auditing process is carried out to measure the productivity of a housekeeping business. Aside from that, it also assists in figuring out when and where a business starts losing its efficiency.